an open journal about the awesome things that God has done in my life

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Serving God

5:01 AM Posted by ask me , , No comments
It was this last Thursday youth service of our church when God made me realize something.

I volunteered as an usher. Ushers greet the comers in the entrance, keep track of how many attendees per service, and collect the offerings. This time of service, I collected the offerings. It just happened that that day was also the communion, so the ushers get to pass and collect the communion elements, too. It was my first time to serve in the ministry during the communion week so basically don't what to do or more specially the cues. One thing you must know about me is that I tend to please people (aren't that some people's tendency, too?). I was so nervous that time of service. For a while, I didn't know what was bothering me. Then a little while, I figured that I was I afraid of the fact that I might not please the people around me because of what I'm doing in case I fail to follow the flow or I'm nervous if I look presentable or something. That's when the time God let me check my own motives.

Why do we serve? 
To whom do we serve?

Exactly. It was like God was telling me that time, "Why are feeling nervous? You think you might fail to please or earn the approval of these people? Are you even dedicating this service of yours to me? Don't worry, You don't need to earn my approval or even my love. I already love you. You did nothing to earn that, nor you can't do anything to lose that..."

I would have cried that very time if only I was in a smaller crowd or in a secret place (I don't want people to see my crying; another thing to know about me). God's reality-check on me was really touching, but at the same time I felt guilty. But still, the lesson/revelation was worth it.

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."             ~ 1 Corinthians 10:31 (NLT)

"And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to the God the Father."  Colossians 3:17 (NLT)


0 comments:

Post a Comment